So tonight I celebrated my 3 month mark on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. It has not been easy, but truly it’s been okay for me due to the extreme mindset I’ve had to have. Just as a review, here’s what I’ve done or not done for the past 3 months:
- cut out coffee (after being a steady drinker for 20 years)
- got rid of chocolate (ask my kids…this one was big!)
- no more alcohol of any kind
- stopped eating bread (of ANY kind except those made with almond flour)
- eliminated all pre-processed foods (if it comes in a can or a box, I have not eaten it!)
- stopped eating rice, potatoes, oatmeal, and other starchy foods
- used honey instead of table sugar to sweeten anything
- I eat about 10 pounds of blueberries a month (that’s my sweet treat!)
- eat a lot of yogurt
- ate chicken soup (Brasco Broth to be precise) for most of 2 weeks, and now at least once a day
- meals consist usually of a lean meat, fruit, and vegetables
Wow! It is hard to put into words what this disease has done to change my life, and how I’ve had to change my life to fit it around this diagnosis. In terms of my Crohn’s, I’m doing well. I will have gas if something doesn’t agree with me, so that’s a good indicator. I hope in the next couple of months to retest some blood levels and see if the inflammation indicators are still high. I hope not!
Oh, and the wine? I bought an organic Zinfandel from California. I decided that I needed something to celebrate 3 months, and that was it. 🙂 So far, 3 hours after dinner, my system is doing fine. I just needed something “special” to add back into my diet.
Next milestone? Probably 6 months. Maybe I’ll add back in dark chocolate at that one. Hmmmm……will I even want it by then?
Once a chocolate lover….always a chocolate lover!