Oh, I’ve gotten almost everything done and in the ground. It feels so good! I built another two containers this year, as well as cleared out space in the front flower gardens for 3 blueberry bushes and one big wine barrel with a raspberry bush in it. I don’t know if I’ll get fruit out of them this year, but I know they will grow and give me something yummy eventually! In the back I’ve planted lettuce, brocoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, and sugar snap peas. Oh yes, and I planted some strawberries in two Topsy Turvy planters! I hope they grow…..
In the summer I’ll plant beans, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and zucchini. I hope to be able to get a late summer/early fall planting in, and do more lettuce, peas, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and garlic. My hope is that I’ll get enough extra to be able to freeze some for the winter. If I can’t, I’m sure my family will just be happy with all of the fresh produce this year!
I was very please with myself and the work that I did last week. The thing I’m most proud of, besides just getting it all done (!), was the lattice-work. I could have spent about $20+ dollars at Home Depot for supplies that would have created a nice looking lattice-work, but it just didn’t feel like it would fit with my almost 100 year-old house. Instead, I looked around at what I had to work with or could recycle into the project. I ended up trimming up my filbert tree for the main supports, and my wisteria for the cross braces. It took me a while, but it looks so cool! I can’t wait for the 80+ sugar snap pea plants to start climbing! The picture shows my back porch, with the planters, lattice-work, strawberry planters, and a peek at my chicken coop. 🙂