Giving up the car

27 Sep

Well, I haven’t written lately.  It’s not that I’ve had nothing to say….I guess I just had other things to do. 

Today my husband is either going to sell his business car, or take it back to the bank for a voluntary repossession.  With all the money stuff going on, we’ve just not been able to stay current with those payments.  It’s really okay.  He hasn’t driven it in over 4 months anyway.  We are going to get my vehicle, the family vehicle, up to date on payments so it doesn’t get hauled away.  And his other vehicle has no debt on it.  That’s good.  All-in-all it’s a just-fine situation.

How did we get three vehicles in a two-driver family?  Here’s how: 

Mark has always wanted a Jeep Wrangler, so 2+ years ago when money was good he traded some services and cash into a Jeep Wrangler.  It was a good rig, but Mark wanted to put a bigger engine in it.  That worked like a train wreck, and ended up with an unreliable vehicle.  A year-plus later the Wrangler was actually working for a day, so he took it to a dealership and traded it in for  Jeep Liberty.  Over the course of a few months he realized that the Liberty will do all that he needed it to do, including business, and so that became his primary car.  Thus the silver business car sat…..

So we got a notice from the bank saying they were going to repossess it.  We knew this was coming.  Instead of having someone come to our house and tow it away, Mark decided to just take it in and hand over the keys.  And then he thought that maybe he can sell it, and not owe quite so much to the bank.

That’s where we are today.  He’s going to try and sell it, and if that fails, it will go to the bank.  At this point our credit is so shot that a repossession on the credit report really won’t matter that much at all.  You come to a place where you need to do whatever you can to keep going.  We could have used the scarce money we have right now and paid it current, then sold it for more money once the winter weather starts (it’s actually the better vehicle to handle snow and ice).  Possibly even not owe anything to the bank.  But what’s the use in that?  We need that money for other things right now.  We’ve gone past the point of saying, “we can wait a month to do this,” and are now at the point of week-by-week, and often day-by-day, figuring out how to make it to the next step. 

This economy has hit people hard.  We sure didn’t see it coming to us, this bad.  I haven’t hid what’s been going on from this blog, and I’m not going to start now.  I know that we’re not the only ones.  In our shared experiences, we can lift each other up and encourage each other to keep going. 

When we’ve come to the end our ourselves and all that we can do, HE will do the rest. 

Leave a comment

Posted by on September 27, 2010 in Crohn's Journal


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: