Well, I think I am officially in a flare, minor though it might be compared to other Crohnies. It’s still a lot more than what I usually have to deal with, and so it’s a bit disconcerting. It started a few days back with some minor right side pain, and has steadily increased. Yesterday I had one of the worst cramps yet. It lasted for a good 20 seconds and had me doubled over taking short breaths until it passed. Most of this afternoon my right side is tight….the same area where the Crohn’s was located. It feels right on the verge of going really bad. SO…..I’ve had to think back and see if there is anything I’ve done differently, or anything else that could a trigger to bring this on.
The first is stress, and I’m sure that has played a part. Enough said for now. There’s just no way around it.
In terms of food, if I start to have a reaction, I evaluate a few things:
- Have I had too much almond-flour baked goods? An overload of something that’s good can cause a reaction just as something with bad stuff! But no, I have not been over-indulging in those type of things lately.
- Neither have I had much of raw nuts or an excess of nut butters. Since nuts can be hard to digest, that is something I look at in all it’s forms. I don’t think that’s the issue.
- The most obvious….have I eaten anything I shouldn’t? Well, I don’t think so. I’ve stopped my food journal and am now just keeping a symptom journal. But I know on a whole I’m eating 99.9% the way I supposed to, so I don’t believe I had anything illegal that would trigger something.
- Have I introduced any new foods? This is a big key with Crohn’s, if you are treating it with diet. It can take 4 days or more for a food to get through your system, and so you need to be aware of new foods you try and any symptoms that might occur in the days following. I did get a new coffee last week, just before this started. SO….that might be the culprit. It is an organic shade-grown blend, unflavored, so you would think it was okay. But with Crohn’s…..you just never know!
- Have I had too much raw food? Well….yes. This past week I’ve had a LOT more raw fruits than normal, and I’m thinking that might be a big culprit. I was very careful in the past to cook my apples and not eat much other raw fruit, and I think that might have been too much. I’ve also eaten a lot more dried fruit this week, which I’m guessing is harder to digest.
So, all total, there are a few things that could have caused this. My main complaint this afternoon and evening is a tightness in my right side that borders on pain. I’m being very cautious because it feels like if I just turn the wrong way it might cause a sharp shooter of pain. I’ve been very careful yesterday and today in what I’ve eaten, but I need to go even further.
Tomorrow, and actually starting right now, I’m going to be eating a lot more soup and lessen the other foods. I’m probably taking out beef until this goes away. And I’ll probably get some more fish, so I can eat soup, fish, chicken, and fully cooked fruits and veggies. We’ll see how long it takes my system to get over it.
I hope it’s soon!